So says The Irish Reflexologists' Institute in its leaflet entitled Reflexology in Pregnancy and Labour, which details the benefits of Reflexology for mothers-to-be.The IRI leaflet goes on to list the benefits of Reflexology treatment, before and after giving birth.
- A reduction in morning sickness, all day sickness and vomiting which persists past the three month stage of the pregnancy. Reflexology is recommended by the National Maternity Hospital, Holles Street, Dublin for this problem.
- It helps to relieve indigestion, lower back pain, haemorrhoids and constipation.
- It prepares the body for labour by balancing all the body systems, especially the endocrine system which governs the labour process.
- The length of labour can be very much reduced by having regular Reflexology treatments in the weeks prior to the expected delivery date.
- Reflexology can be used during labour to help boost energy levels, and it aids deep muscle relaxation between contractions. It helps with pain control by stimulating the production of natural endorphins. Partners can be taught the areas of the foot to treat during labour.
- Using Reflexology can reduce the need for epidurals.
- After the birth, Reflexology babies are very calm, suckle better and are less prone to colic.
- Using Reflexology after labour can help expel a retained placenta.
- It can promote rapid healing of episiotomies.
- It will encourage breast milk production.
- And can help relieve urinary retention.
Posted by Healing Hands.